Allan and Nesta Ferguson Scholarships 2019/2020 for African Students to sudy in UK.
Deadline: 20 February 2019
Thanks to the generosity of the Allan and Nesta Ferguson Charitable trust, three Allan and Nesta Ferguson Scholarships have been established for African Students (African nationals and resident in Africa), who wish to undertake a taught masters course at SOAS
Each Allan and Nesta Ferguson Scholarship covers tuition fees in full and provides a maintenance grant of £7,000.
In addition to this, International Student’s House (ISH) provides
free accommodation and a food scholarship. The scholarship recipient
must reside at International Student House during the whole of your
course. ISH is an independent educational charity that runs a large
student hostel near the School, together with social facilities for
international students in London. It has a close association with the
University of London. You should also be aware that in return for the
residential scholarship, ISH expects their scholarship students to play
an active role in the life of ISH. In addition you may be asked to work
on a voluntary basis within the House for a few hours each month.
The Ferguson scholarship is awarded on the basis of academic merit.
Students offered an Allan and Nesta Ferguson Scholarship must take it
up in the academic year 2019/20 and it cannot be carried forward to a
- Be nationals of and resident in an African country
- Hold an undergraduate degree at the first class level
- Hold an offer of admission to pursue one of the eligible programmes by the scholarship deadline. Priority may be given to applicants with unconditional offers. If your offer is conditional, please ensure you meet the conditions as soon as possible.
- Applicants must meet the English language condition of their
offer of admission to study at SOAS as soon as possible but no later
than 1 June 2019. If your offer is conditional on English, please
arrange your English test and ensure you meet the English requirement as
soon as possible.
- Candidates will be assessed on academic merit by an Advisory Panel consisting of three academic members.
- The assessment of your application will be based on the information
in your scholarship application. Selectors will be looking at the
degree results and also at academic references, statement and other
Scholarship Application Deadline
- Scholarship applications must be received no later than 16:00 (UK local time) on 20 February 2019.
- You must also submit a complete online application to your programme. It is recommended to apply for the programme about six weeks BEFORE the scholarship deadline (that is, by 9 January 2019).
Please note that complete applications for admission can take up to 4
weeks to be considered by the Department, although this duration can
vary depending on the time of year. You should be prepared to wait up to
6 weeks in busy periods.
- Late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
Number of Applications normally received
- 10 applications
Notification of Results
Successful candidates will be notified by end-June. If you have not
heard from us by end-June, you should assume that your application was
Scholarship Application Procedures
You must follow two steps:
- STEP 1: Apply for your programme
You must submit a COMPLETE on-line application for admission.
Applicants must have an offer of admission to pursue a full-time
masters programme at SOAS by the scholarship application deadline. A
complete application for admission includes transcripts, an explanation
of the grading system for any degrees obtained outside of the UK, two
references, CV and a personal statement. The panel will be considering
your scholarship application TOGETHER with your on-line application for
admission. Please note that complete applications for admission can
take up to 4 weeks to be considered by the Department, although this
duration can vary depending on the time of the year. You should be
prepared to wait up to 6 weeks in busy periods.
It is recommended to apply for the programme about six weeks BEFORE the scholarship deadline (that is, by 9 January 2019).
- STEP 2: Apply for the scholarship by 16:00 (UK local time) on 20 February 2019.
You must apply for this scholarship via the on-line application form which will open HERE on 23 January 2019.
For enquiries, please:
Email: [email protected]
Telephone: +44 (0)20 7074 5094/5091
For More Information: