DAAD/CERAAS Masters and PhD Scholarships 2020 for Sub-Saharan African Students (Funded) – beasiswaonline.com
Application Deadline: June 2nd 2020
The programme aims at fostering strong, internationally oriented higher education systems in Sub-Saharan Africa with the capacity to contribute to sustainable development. To this end, scholarships are granted for development-related Master or doctoral studies for individuals who plan to pursue a career in teaching and / or research at a higher education institution in Sub-Saharan Africa.
By training future academic and professional leaders, the programme contributes to the following long-term impacts:
• Qualified professionals’ involvement in the solution of development-related problems in Sub-Saharan Africa
• Graduates strengthening education and research in Sub-Saharan Africa
• Structural strengthening and regional networking of partner institutions and partner universities
To achieve these long term impacts, the following outcomes have been formulated as programme objectives:
Programme objective 1: Graduates have qualified to take over responsible positions in their, or for their, region of origin
Programme objective 2: The participation of women and underprivileged groups is reinforced
Programme objective 3: Organizational, financial and personal capacities of partner institutions are strengthened
As part of the „In-Country/In-Region Scholarship Programme“ DAAD offers scholarships for PhD and Master studies.
The programme is funded by the German Federal Ministry of Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) and
aims at university staff in the first line, without neglecting the public sector demand of academically trained personnel.
The target group for scholarships are graduates and postgraduates from SubSaharan Africa with a first academic degree if applying for a Master’s programme, or with a Master’s degree if applying for a doctoral programme who want to pursue Master’s or PhD courses.
In-Region Scholarships are aimed at students who want to participate in a study programe in a country of their home region (here: Sub-Saharan Africa/outside their home country). In-Country Scholarships are aimed at students who study in their home country or in the country for which they have a residence permit. It has been agreed upon that DAAD cooperates with Centre d’Études Régional pour l’Amélioration de l’Adaptation à la Sécheresse (CERAAS) by offering up to
1 In-Country and 2 In-Region scholarships for PhD and 1 In-Country and 3 InRegion scholarships for Master studies at Centre d’Études Régional pour l’Amélioration de l’Adaptation à la Sécheresse (CERAAS) for the intake 2021.
Scholarships will be awarded subject to the provision of funds and to the conclusion of contract between the host institution and DAAD.
• have successfully completed generally a three-year university degree (Master candidates) or a two-year university degree (doctoral candidates) with above average results (at least: Second Class/Upper division) • clearly show motivation and strong commitment
• have thorough knowledge of the language of instruction
• have generally completed their last university degree not more than 6 years
ago at the time of application
• must be nationals or permanent resident of a Sub-Saharan African country
• should generally be a) staff member of a public university, b) candidate considered for teaching or research staff recruitment, c) from the public sector, d) Alumni of the DAFI programme
Female applicants and candidates from less privileged regions or groups are especially encouraged to participate in the programme
The In-Country/In-Region Scholarship Programme supports studies in subject areas with strong relevance to national development. The scholarships at Centre d’Études Régional pour l’Amélioration de l’Adaptation
à la Sécheresse (CERAAS) are available in the following fields:
• Master Plant and Microbial Technology
• Master Agroforestry, Ecology and Adaptation
• Master Phytopharmacy and Plant Protection
• PhD Ecole Doctorale – Sciences de la Vie, de la Santé et de l’Environnement (ED-SEV)
• of the PhD programme is generally three three years
• of the Master programme is generally two years generally starting in January 2021.
Please note that the maximum duration of the scholarship is based on the time that is left until the scholarship holder has reached the regular period of studies in that programme; i.e., if you apply for a DAAD scholarship starting in your second year of studies of a three-year programme, the maximum duration of the scholarship will be two years.
The application process contains two steps. Please be aware of the two application deadlines.
Applicants must apply for their studies at Centre d’Études Régional pour L’Amélioration de l’Adaptation à la Sécheresse (CERAAS) using the contacts and the method that is prescribed by the institution. Centre d’Études Régional pour L’Amélioration de l’Adaptation à la Sécheresse (CERAAS) has set its own deadlines.
For More Information:
Visit the Official Webpage of the DAAD/CERAAS Masters and PhD Scholarships 2020