Fulbright Foreign Student Program 2020/2021 Scholarships for young South Africans (Fully Funded to USA) – beasiswaonline.com
Application Deadline: March 31st 2020
The South African Fulbright Foreign Student Program provides grants for South African university graduates to pursue post-graduate studies at a United States university in any subject (excludes MBA and studies that require contact with patients).
The following opportunities are available:
- South African PhD students enrolled with a South African University may apply to conduct one year’s research at a U.S. University as a Visiting Student Researcher.
- Post-graduate students may apply for scholarships towards Master’s or Doctorate degrees. Scholarships are awarded for two years towards one degree – Master’s or Doctorate (renewable each year).
Students are selected through a rigorous application and interview process and receive a high level of support ranging from visa processing and health insurance to a comprehensive pre-departure orientation and re-entry session.
- Be a South African citizen OR a permanent resident with a minimum of 5 years of permanent residency status in South Africa (Please note: S.A. nationals with dual citizenship from the U.S. are not eligible for the program)
- For Non-Degree (Visiting Student Researcher) studies: Must be registered for a PhD with a South African university
- Have a four-year bachelor’s degree, or a three-year bachelor’s degree plus honors year, or a four-year B-Tech degree when applying for Master’s
- Have a Master’s degree when applying for a Doctoral degree
- What do we look for in our applicants?
- Academic excellence
- Required scores for the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) and Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) for each specific field of study
- Clearly written study objectives
- Demonstrable interpersonal skills with evidence of cultural sensitivity and a genuine desire to learn more about the United States and share with American citizens aspects of South African culture
- Experience and interest in extracurricular and community activities
- Evidence of leadership potential
- A desire to further the Fulbright Program and give back to your home country upon returning
- The Selection Committee and the Interview Panel will also be looking for clear reasons for selecting your U.S. university preferences. The Fulbright Program expects candidates to conduct a thorough university search and to identify institutions which are a strong fit for their academic, personal and professional goals.
- Master’s or Doctoral Degree: 2 years of funding towards one degree. For Doctoral degrees, at least 2-3 years of study are required beyond the initial two years. Doctoral candidates need to secure their own personal or other funding to continue studying in the United States.
- Non-Degree: Participation in a visiting research program for one academic year (9-10 months).
- Fully funded awards generally cover the following, but can vary according to each grantee’s program:
- Travel allowance and transportation from South Africa to the authorized U.S. destination
- Health benefits
- Settling in allowance upon arrival in the U.S.
- Monthly maintenance allowance (to cover living expenses)
- Tuition and fees
- Book and computer allowance
- J-1 visa sponsorship
For more information on the Fulbright Program visit: https://apply.iie.org/ffsp2021
For questions on the application process, please contact the Fulbright Office: [email protected]
Guidance for applications
For More Information:
Visit the Official Webpage of the Fulbright Foreign Student Program 2020/2021