The Microsoft Research PhD Scholarship Programme 2020 in EMEA (Europe, Middle East, Africa)
Application Deadline: September 21, 2019 17:00 GMT
Each year, PhD supervisors from academic institutions in EMEA are
invited to submit their proposals for collaborative research projects
with Microsoft Research Cambridge. Applications are then peer reviewed
and a number of projects selected for
funding. PhD students are appointed to the selected projects and begin
their research in the following academic year under the supervision of
their academic supervisor, with co-supervision from a researcher at
Microsoft Research Cambridge.
The Microsoft Research PhD Scholarship Programme in EMEA (Europe, Middle East, Africa) was launched in 2004 and has so far supported more than 200 PhD students from more than 18 countries and 51 institutions.
Some of the Scholars may also be offered—at the sole discretion of Microsoft Research—an internship in one of the Microsoft Research laboratories. Internships involve working on a project alongside and as part of a team of Microsoft researchers. Scholars are paid during their internship—in addition to their scholarship bursary.
Applications must not be made by students but by PhD supervisors, who
must have been nominated by Microsoft Research prior to the submission
deadline. Only applications from institutions in Europe, the Middle
East, and Africa will be considered.
For an application to be considered, the following key requirements apply:
- The institute agrees to the terms and conditions in the PhD Term Sheet and EPSRC Term Sheet where appropriate and there will be no negotiation once the selections have been made and communicated.
- Applicants must be nominated by a Microsoft supervisor to be eligible to submit an application.
- The proposed research must be closely related to our research themes at Microsoft Research in Cambridge:
For 2020 Applications
- Nominations from Microsoft Researchers Open August 30, 2019 and close September 21, 2019 17:00 GMT
- Faculty nominees receive a request to submit their proposal September 24, 2019
- Proposals accepted through November 5, 2019 17:00 GMT
- Recipients announced by January 31, 2020
For More Information: